Saturday 3rd June – Sun 11th June 2017
Join us for a special week to celebrate churchyards and burial grounds and to raise awareness of the treasures they contain.
Churchyards are special places:
- They often contain a rich diversity of plant and animal life.
- They are important places for archaeology and history.
- They often have distinctive and veteran trees.
- The stonework and boundary walls provide a home for a mosaic of mosses, ferns and lichens.
- They provide a tranquil place for quiet reflection.
- They are a resource for inspiration and community learning.
Churchyards are often within walking distance of local communities and can provide a focus for community involvement.
Are you interested in celebrating your local churchyard or burial ground?
Examples of activities include:
For families: A quiz, a treasure hunt, a mini beast safari, tree bingo, letter or leaf rubbing, making gargoyles out of clay…
Open days: guided tours, slide talks, tower tours...
Volunteer activities: making compost areas, scything the grass, repairing the boundary walls, memorial recording, bramble clearing, nest box making, path clearing…
Workshops: dry stone walling, memorial safety and care, plant identification, animal identification, dawn chorus, geology, tree care, archaeology, creative writing, art, singing…
Please visit Conservation Advice/Advice Sheets for Download section on this website if you feel the following information may be useful:
- Activities for Young People
- Attracting Volunteers
- Health & Safety Information
- Cherishing Churchyard Logo
If you would like to register your event as part of National Cherishing Churchyards week, please download and fill out the registration form.
Click HERE to download the logo
If you are in Wales…
This year Cherishing Churchyards Week coincides with Wales Biodiversity Week – an annual week of wildlife-themed events that take place all over Wales.
Also contact OPAL if your event involves surveying or identifying wildlife as they can help publicise it too www.opalexplorenature.org