Caring For God's Acre > Case Studies > Community Involvement > Evaluation of The National Project – 2012-2016

Evaluation of The National Project – 2012-2016

Vision

The vision of the project was to inspire, engage and support communities to  learn about, and participant in the conservation of churchyards and burial grounds across England and Wales.

Aim

The aim was to increase the number of sites that are enhanced, conserved, valued and enjoyed across the country.

  • 15 conferences took place and in total were attended by 785 people.
  • 30 % above target.
  • 86% of respondents stated that the conference
    was ‘very good’ or ‘good’.
  • Before the end of the project 59% stated that they had already drawn up and implemented plans for a change in the management of their burial ground and 59% also said they had recruited volunteers.
  • 45% had planned and held an event for adults or young people and 22% had initiated fundraising.
  • 1, 520 volunteers took part in the project, generating over  £135,000 worth of in kind contribution
  • Over 1,450 burial site managers many who are volunteers, received advice, support, benefited from networking or attended training as part of the project.
  • Contributors from 110 different organisations either spoke or ran a workshop at least one of the 15 conferences. Spanning built, natural and social heritage and including local, national and community organisations.
  • 39 Skills Training took place attended by 465 people. 30 % above target.
    Training included: Dry Stone Walling, Scything, Memorial Recording, Biological Recording.
  • 95% of volunteers felt that the training had been of excellent quality and the remaining 5% considered it to be very good.
  • Before the project finished 77% had already used new skills gained at the training to enhance or support conservation of a burial site or other type of site.

“Just what an eye opener the initial seminar was. I now look at landscapes in general in a very different manner. So much more than just a guide for managing burial sites.”