The Beautiful Burial Ground Project
Funder: National Lottery Heritage Fund
Project Duration – May 2018 – December 2022
This project is putting burial grounds across England and Wales on the map by revealing their hidden heritage and importance to biodiversity. It’s supporting people to learn about, research and survey the species in, and history of, their local burial grounds.
- We are running training events to budding recorders all over the England and Wales in biodiversity, social and built heritage of churchyards, chapel yards and burial grounds.
- We are encouraging everyone to send in a list of species they see in burial grounds – so far we have received over 75,000 records.
- We are collecting and collating the data that people send in to demonstrate the importance of burial grounds for biodiversity and make that data accessible through the National Biodiversity Network Atlas and the Church Heritage Record/Church in Wales data systems.
- We are providing opportunities for families, those with mental health issues and those with mobility issues and physical disabilities to be inspired about the heritage contained in burial grounds through a diverse range of activities, many in partnership with local and national organisations.
- We are raising the profile of burial grounds through the provision of a variety of resources such as publications, short films, articles, podcasts and webinars.
For further information contact Harriet Carty, BBG Project Manager [email protected].